Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer in Doral, FL
Ridesharing apps are popular with many users worldwide including Doral, FL. However, there has been a sharp increase in the number of Uber and Lyft accidents in Florida. According to a recent report from Rice University and the University of Chicago, ridesharing services have increased traffic deaths by 2 - 4% since 2011 in the U.S.
Another report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that 37,461 people died in car accidents in 2016. The number increased by 1,976 compared to 35,485 deaths that occurred in 2015, which is a 5.6 % increase. The increase in fatalities cut across all vehicle categories.
If you’ve suffered personal injury or property damage in an Uber or Lyft accident, contact our expert lawyers at 305-928-2909 before speaking with an insurance adjuster. We’ll file a lawsuit if fair compensation isn’t paid out to you and we will litigate your accident claims on your behalf.
What Are the Causes of Uber and Lyft Accidents?
The factors that cause general car accidents also apply to rideshare collisions. Some common factors include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Poor vehicle maintenance
What Insurance Cover Is Available for Uber and Lyft Accident Victims in Doral?
If you suffered injuries in an Uber or Lyft crash, it is important to know what financial resources you have at your disposal because medical treatment can result in a great deal of financial burden for crash victims. Below are the basics of the insurance coverage that may be available to you:
- Uber and Lyft car insurance isn’t the primary but is the secondary form of cover after a crash. The personal car insurance of the Uber or Lyft driver involved in the crash will be used first if you’re an injured driver or passenger. This may be used to cover damages of the accident victim. If it isn’t enough, Uber’s insurance policy will cover an additional $1,000,000 for death claims or bodily injury.
- Rideshare drivers are required to have their personal automobile insurance. However, Uber and Lyft also provide them with an additional $1 million in liability insurance coverage for bodily injury.
- Rideshare drivers also carry $1,000,000 in under-insured and uninsured motorist coverage which helps injured victims obtain compensation when an under-insured or uninsured driver causes an accident.
- Insurance policies available also cover injured pedestrians, passengers, and other motorists involved in an Uber or Lyft accident. However, this insurance only applies when the responsible Uber or Lyft driver is on the clock and working.
If you aren’t sure which of the limits above are applicable to your case, contact our Uber and Lyft accident experts in Doral for help.
What Will Insurance Cover After a Crash With an Uber or Lyft Motorist?
If you suffered injuries after being involved in an Uber or Lyft crash, you may seek compensation for:
- Present and future medical costs
- Lost income
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Suffering and pain
- Loss of earning potential
- Loss of consortium
Uber and Lyft Laws in Florida
Under Florida law, Uber and Lyft are required to apply for insurance coverage the moment a driver logs into their app until he/she drops off his or her passengers. The coverage required is $25,000 for damaged property, $50,000 for bodily injury or death per passenger, and $100,000 for bodily injuries and death per accident.
The law also requires that:
- The company on the motorist’s behalf or the Uber/Lyft motorist have primary automobile insurance and use the automobile only for commercial purposes.
- Coverage of at least $1,000,000 for death be available when a motorist is carrying a passenger.
- These limits are just the minimum coverage amounts required. You should work with an experienced Uber and Lyft accident attorney to ascertain whether the driver and or company had different insurance policies in effect on the day of the crash. The level of coverage also depends on if the driver was on or off duty, was transporting or picking up a passenger, or was off the clock and logged off from their ridesharing app.
Injuries from an Uber or Lyft Accident
Our personal injury lawyers will help you collect and organize your medical records related to the crash. Here are some injuries you may sustain from a ridesharing accident:
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
How an Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer in Doral, FL Can Help You
Apart from helping you understand the claims process, our attorneys will also look for important documents such as medical and police reports, as well as phone records of the parties involved to ascertain whether or not the accident occurred due to distracted driving. Contact us at 305-928-2909 for a free case review and to initiate a formal claim for all the damages and injuries you sustained in an Uber or Lyft accident. Call now.