Boat Accident Lawyer in Doral, FL
Boating is a major tourist activity in Doral, Florida. However, outdoor activities come with a wide range of risks as well. When it comes to boating, many people suffer crashes, death, and injuries, both serious as well as mild. Statistics compiled in 2016 by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) show that there were 684 boat crashes in Florida, which represented an increase from 671 boat crashes in 2015.
According to a report by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Florida recorded the highest number of boating accidents in 2016. The report further reveals that 59 of boating crashes in 2016 resulted in death. These accidents also resulted in $9.6 million awarded in damages to victims.
If you were injured as a passenger or an operator in another boat or because of the negligence of a boating driver, our team of boat accident lawyers will review your claim and help you fight for the settlement you deserve.
Boating Accident Laws in Florida
When accidents occur on public waterways that are navigable, the crash can fall under the jurisdiction of the federal admiralty, which has its own set of laws. Boat accident lawsuits usually involve different laws as compared to personal injury cases.
Some boating crashes may be governed by Chapter 768 of Florida’s 2017 state laws, and others may involve maritime and admiralty law. These laws can either be of the federal, state, or international level. You should always work with an experienced boat accident lawyer in Doral who knows how to work with the laws relevant to your specific case.
Our law firm handles many types of boat crashes cases that happen along Florida’s many waterways, including all rivers, harbors, and bays. We represent all categories of accident victims, including:
- Ferry passengers
- Dock workers
- Ship crew members
- Cruise ship passengers
- Jet ski rentals
- Scuba divers and snorkelers
- Guests on boats or yachts
If you’ve sustained injuries in or on Florida’s navigable waters, call our boat accident lawyers to learn about your legal options.
Causes of Boating Accidents
Boating accidents most often occur due to distracted/drunk driving, speeding, or failing to adhere to waterways rules. Other causes include:
- Operator inexperience
- Congested waters
- Obstructed view/vision
- Hull failure
- Hazardous waters
- Improper anchoring
- Sharp turns
When it comes to death, a majority of fatalities that occur as a result of boating accidents involve overboard drowning crashes. Alcohol is also often involved.
Boating Accidents Injuries
When boats collide, passengers and drivers can suffer significant physical injuries, such as:
- Head injuries
- Internal injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
In severe cases, boat crash victims can suffer anoxic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and amputations.
Common Types of Boating Crashes
Boating crashes can refer to different events near or on the water that result in tragic fatalities or life-changing injuries. Our lawyers handle the following types of cases:
- Snorkeling or scuba accidents – Many companies provide excursions so that visitors can have fun while in or on the water. However, severe accidents can occur on these excursions and lead to death or injury. If your guide is not properly trained or fails to properly supervise visitors, you may suffer a decompression injury, get hit by a boat, or run out of air while in or on the water.
- Recreational boat accidents – Tourists in Florida often choose to spend their day on the water. Unfortunately, many non-locals are often duped into hiring inexperienced boaters and guides, especially during high-traffic seasons. Furthermore, boat operators themselves may not be aware of waterways rules or may become easily distracted while guiding a group of visitors to the various sites and sounds out on the water. These factors can lead to collisions with other objects or boats, injuries to people tubing, or water skiers, amongst other severe accidents.
- Personal watercraft accidents – Renting a personal watercraft or jet skis to ride the ocean waves is a popular activity in Doral. Unfortunately, most people rent them without learning important safety and operational procedures required for the proper use and handling of these vehicles. They end up injuring swimmers because of operating their jet skis in a manner that isn’t safe. Other boats may also collide with them.
- Cruise ship accidents – Taking a cruise is a fun way to travel since everything is taken care of for you. However, these ships expose their passengers to various hazards that may not be properly addressed by the cruise line. Guests can suffer accidents while debarking or embarking the ship, or become involved in spa or swimming pool accidents such as slips or falls into or around the water.
Contact Our Doral, Florida Boat Accident Lawyers Today
You need an experienced attorney on your side in a boating accident claim to help you hold all negligent parties liable for damages caused and losses incurred. Our lawyers, who are local to Doral and have represented boating crash victims for years in the area, can help you obtain important documents such as medical reports and witness testimony to support your case. We’ll also help you file a lawsuit under Florida maritime laws and fight your case aggressively to ensure you’re compensated fully. Contact us at 305-928-2909 to discuss your case today.